November 5 North Dakota Tourism E-Newsletter
Keep up on the latest tourism industry news impacting North Dakota
November 5 Newsletter
Sportshow Partners Wanted
TBEX North America
Group Travel Expert Tips
ND Tourism has G'Days Down Under
The Sky is the Limit
Celebrating in 2016?
Tourism Attends Marketing Outlook
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, Jamestown, is now open www.jamestownsun.com/news/local/3873133-fairfield-inn-suites-now-open
- New truck reliever route connecting Highway 85 to Highway 2 now complete, bypassing Williston. www.willistonherald.com/business/end-to-truckmageddon/article_d76cb718-7364-11e5-822f-dfc14e483545.html]
- Kitchen Gremlin and Arcade has opened at 402 Broadway, Fargo. Formerly John Alexander's and Juano's, Arcade features free darts and games from the 80s. www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Kitchen-Gremlin-Restaurant-and-Arcade-Opens-Friday-331436022.html?device=phone&c=y
- Free Entrance Day at Theodore Roosevelt National Park is Nov. 11, Veteran's Day.
- Call North Dakota Tourism Division to order the new “ND Food & Festivals” brochure.
North Dakota is seeking tourism industry partners for 2016 sportshows. Individuals, businesses and communities that attract outdoor enthusiasts can sign up to attend sportshows with Tourism or send printed material to be distributed by North Dakota Tourism staff. ND Tourism will attend the following shows in 2016.
- Jan. 14-17, 2016 – Denver International Sportsmen’s Exposition – Denver
- Jan. 23-24, 2016 - Chicago Travel and Adventure Show - Chicago
- Feb. 11-14, 2016 - Minneapolis/St. Paul RV Vacation and Camping Show – Minneapolis
- Feb. 25-28, 2016 - Omaha Boat, Sports and Travel Show - Omaha, Neb.
- March 2-6, 2016 - The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Sportshow - Milwaukee, Wis.
- March 30-Apr. 3, 2016 - Northwest Sportshow - Minneapolis
Partnership fees vary and space is limited and is offered on a first come first serve basis. Contact ND Tourism Outdoor Promotion Manager Mike Jensen for more information.
North Dakota Tourism Public Relations Manager Kim Schmidt attended the 2015 TBEX North America conference in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. in October. TBEX provides the perfect platform for destination marketing organizations to connect face-to-face with top travel bloggers and social media marketing experts, while blazing new trails with like-minded peers from around the globe. This year’s event welcomed more than 700 attendees and proved to be a fantastic networking conference to develop new relationships with bloggers and share North Dakota story ideas! The 2016 TBEX North America event will be in Minneapolis May 28-31 and we hope to see some North Dakota partners at the conference. If you would like to learn more about TBEX, contact Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701-328-2525.
The group travel industry is competitive. Every supplier can enhance their marketing efforts by demonstrating they are group-friendly. Click here to read "Expert Tips" by Group Tour Media.
North Dakota International Marketing Manager Fred Walker joined Real America representatives from South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana to promote the region at shows in Australia and New Zealand. The reps met with 26 tour operators and numerous media to discuss the Real America region and how it could fit into their plans. During each meeting, each state conducted a training session on what there is to see, do and experience in their respective state. Building relationships is key to success in the International program. This is the ninth year the Australia and New Zealand markets are parts of the Real America marketing plan. These markets have sent more than 1.25 million visitors to the US each of the past four years.
Some FYI regarding air service in North Dakota:
- Delta is suspending flights to Dickinson effective December 1 due to low numbers www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/local/3864060-delta-suspend-jet-service-dickinson
- Frontier will be ending its seasonal service to Bismarck effective January 3. Load factors have been very high so it’s expected service will resume in April as it did in 2015.
- United will be upgrading to 2-class 64-passenger planes on most of its Bismarck-to-Denver flights effective April 1. So far, Bismarck is the only North Dakota airport to get this upgrade.
- Fargo Airport received a $500,000 grant to add direct flights to Seattle. Service would be provided by Delta or Alaska Airlines but no official announcement has been made yet.
- Fargo-to-Salt Lake City direct flights have been discontinued.
- Minot’s new terminal is on schedule to open in early 2016
We want to know if you’re celebrating a centennial or special historical event in 2016. It’s a centennial year for Alamo, Grenora, Hanks (Williams) and Wabek (Mountrail). Get your events posted online at www.NDtourism.com for free promotion on the official Tourism website for the State of North Dakota.
What’s better than having your planning work already done for you or getting free money? Those are just a couple of advantages to North Dakota Tourism’s cooperative advertising program. The 2016 media plan offers a number of ways to cooperatively advertise with the state. Please contact Heather LeMoine for a copy of the plan, email@example.com.
New option with AAA
A co-op option with AAA magazines was inadvertently omitted from the plan. AAA magazines have partnered with the National Parks Service on an advertorial program to commentate the 100th anniversary of national parks. North Dakota Tourism is running a two-page spread advertorial in the March/April issue in conjunction with the National Parks program. AAA is going to place the North Dakota co-op program adjacent to the state’s pages in the Minnesota and Minneapolis editions. The state ad buy will include Wisconsin and Illinois, as well as Minnesota and Minneapolis-St. Paul.
- Contact Jenny Kollander to participate – firstname.lastname@example.org. Your total investment is $1,560 net. You are reaching 502,760 AAA households and more than 1 million readers in that one issue.
- Added Value - Brochure Distribution at the AAA offices in North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota.
- Materials are due by Dec. 21. AAA will put the ad together and send you a proof early January. All that’s needed is a photo, 25 words of text and URL.
Marketing Manager Heather LeMoine attended the Travel and Tourism Research Association’s Marketing Outlook Forum October 26-28 in Philadelphia. LeMoine was invited to speak on a panel applying “big data” to marketing efforts. Also attending was North Dakota’s account manager from Odney, Gwen Hubbard.